Sunday, September 24, 2006

OMP Superquadro Steering Wheel Fitted!

Whilst the battery was disconnected I thought I might as well crack on and get my OMP steering wheel fitted. This is what I did to get it done:-

1] Disconnect battery
2] Unclip the clips holding the airbag on at rear of wheel using a flat head screwdriver
3] Pull airbag out
4] Unclip the 2 x airbag connectors and the horn connector
5] Loosen the torx bolt in the middle of the wheel [didn't take it fully off]
6] Pull wheel out and take the torx screw out
7] Fit 3.3 Ohm resistors into the 2 x airbag connectors
8] Fit new OMP Boss and pull wires through
9] Tighten torx bolt
10] Secure wires with electrical tape
11] Fit new wheel onto the boss
12] Attach horn wires to the OMP horn unit
13] Clip horn unit to wheel

The 320mm wheel makes so much difference to the driving experience. It now feels like I'm driving a hot hatch - not a hot bus!!!! The suede is really grippy and the leather yellow band is quite appropriate. Due to the smaller circumference turn in is so much more responsive and your palms slot into the contours.

I have come into a spot of bother after reconnecting the battery. The resistors do not seem to be doing their job in turning off the airbag warning light, the method I used is tried and tested so I am baffled why its not worked. I am not bothered though because I will get Renault to plug their clip computer into the car and disable all warning lights.

Oh and another problem.... When 'testing' the car I have found an annoying loud noise! There is a vibrating / loose vibration sound when I accelerate and hit around 5.5-6k+ rpm, then if I drop down the box at high rpm [heel and toe] decelerating it happens too.
It doesn't happen when accelerating/decelerating upto about 4krpm. Or driving normally.
I think it might be the exhaust or the heat-shield vibrating on something as it is coming from directly below me/slightly behind.
It has a std exhaust - however...
I noticed when looking under the car that the previous owner had changed parts of the exhaust as the exhaust should be just one piece from backbox to near the cat, mine is in two parts which has a join by the rear beam.
Im not too worried if its the exhaust as I'm getting the Yozza Rag Exhaust fitted soonish.

Anyway! Here are some pics of my progress on the wheel:-



  

  

  

  




  

  



  

  

  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home