Sunday, November 19, 2006

RAF Barkston Heath Trackday with Javelin... The Good News and The Bad

Both myself and my partner went on the Javelin trackday to RAF Barkston Heath Airfield.

The organisers were fantastic - really helpfull, and so were the other attendees. There were are large range of cars from Porker 966 911's, Westies, Evo's, VX220's, to other hot hatches.

There were 2 courses - Sprint course, and a Slalom [for drifting]. I spent all morning on the sprint course as I was aiming on perfecting my lap. I got it down to 57.2 secs. I have been told that time is very respectable!!!! [not that I timed it - for legal reasons! ;-)]

The Clio is a weapon. It accelerated with a massive kick, the braking bit powerfully, and the Clio turned in and carried out its handling duties precisely. I even got it into controlled 4 wheel slides on the last 3 laps, I have learnt so much about this car today! With the course so narrow you needed to have your wits about you, and most importantly confidence in your setup.

12:10 struck disaster though..... my drivers side rear wheel bearing disintegrated locking up the wheel. I had to order a low loader to take us home and drop the 172 at Yozzasport for replacement disks and bearings. These are one of the only things I had not replaced. I was very lucky because a locked rear wheel could have caused a major accident.

So overall I am happy - not with the cost of some new parts and labour [im broke!] but because I am confident that my little bug 172 is one of the fastest things on the track. It is so, so, so, much fun I cannot keep the smile off my face! Neither can my partner! ;-)

My love affair with my little bug continues!












2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds like a real blast - I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Sorry to hear about your bearing failing, as you say - lucky it happened when it did. Hope it doesn't cost too much to fix

8:48 am  
Blogger C Mac said...

It was a fantastic day.... shame it ended the way it did though.

Im sure Yoz will sort it though :)

1:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home